Amp up classic lasagna and pack it full of veggies for a hearty yet healthy dinner recipe that’s perfect for any vegetarian dinner! You’re going to love this sweet potato lasagna.
Time to Grab Your Casserole Dish!
Can I just say that the casserole dish is seriously one of the best inventions EVER. It’s just so. perfect. According to Wikipedia, casseroles are a “quintessential dish” in Minnesota. Yah know what; I would have to agree with that statement. I’ve got at least one casserole cooking up each week in my household.
I know what you’re thinking….lasagna isn’t a casserole. I’m here to tell you something different:
IT IS A CASSEROLE.
The internet tells me that a casserole is a deep dish meal slow cooked in the oven. It can, but doesn’t have to contain meat. Therefore…lasagna = casserole.
This isn’t your average lasagna recipe. Why? It’s packed with veggies (4 different kinds!). I amped up the tomato sauce (1) with some onion (2) and sautéed spinach (3) AND added pureed sweet potato (4) to the cheese mixture. Talk about an amazing combo of flavors. You won’t even miss the ground beef or meat sauce traditionally found in lasagna recipes.
Sweet Potato Lasagna Spices
Speaking of flavors, you’re going to love the simple yet amazing spices we’re using to flavor this lasagna! I decided to keep things basic, but classic Italian when it came to the sauce. You really can’t go wrong with a little:
- garlic powder
- black pepper
I lightened up the cheese by doing one part whole milk ricotta, one part low-fat cottage cheese, one part sweet potato puree.
Pro Tip: You can find pureed sweet potato at most grocery stores! Just make sure that you look for 100% sweet potato with no added sugar. If you can’t find it…feel free to roast/boil your own and then blend in the food processor. We have step by step instructions for pureeing sweet potatoes here 🙂 Either method works!
Sweet Potato Lasagna Layers
In general lasagna is pretty simple to put together. The layers look like this:
- ricotta mixture
- sauce mixture
You’re more than welcome to use your favorite lasagna noodles, original or whole grain. I really prefer original because I crave that white flour, glutenous texture…but that’s just me!
Since everything is pre-cooked and there’s no meat involved, all you have to do once everything is layered is pop it in the oven for about 30 minutes. Then it’s time to DIG IN.
After the sweet potato lasagna is baked, let it cool completely before placing it in an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To reheat the lasagna, let it come to room temperature and then heat it up in the oven at 350ºF until the cheese melts and the middle of the lasagna is warm.
Freeze this recipe
Let the sweet potato lasagna cool completely before covering the with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Place the lasagna in the freezer and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat the lasagna from frozen, let it come to room temperature and then heat it up in the oven at 350ºF until the cheese melts and the middle of the lasagna is warm.
For the Sweet Potato Cheese
- 1.5 cups whole milk ricotta
- 1.5 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 15 oz can sweet potato puree (~1.5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 large handfuls of spinach
- 1 24 oz jar organic marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a baking dish or cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prep 12 lasagna noodles by following the directions on the box. Set aside.
- Prep sweet potato cheese by mixing together whole milk ricotta, cottage cheese, sweet potato puree, and rosemary. Set aside.
- To prep sauce, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Then, add in onion and sauté for about 5 minutes or until almost translucent. Add spinach and sauté for an additional 2ish minutes until it has cooked down. Add marinara sauce and spice and let simmer for 2-3 more minutes on low.
- Prepare lasagna dish by layering noodles, cheese, and sauce. You should end with a layer of noodles on the top.
- Bake at 375ºF for 25 minutes Then, sprinkle on mozzarella cheese and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Serving Size: 1/8
Keywords: sweet potato lasagna