Tomato mozzarella salad is a fresh and healthy salad to make to share. Made with just a few ingredients, you’ll be craving this all summer long.
Easy Tomato Basil Mozzarella Salad
If there is one salad to make and bring to a party that you know everyone will love, it’s our tomato mozzarella salad. This recipe is made with a homemade balsamic dressing that is to die for. Plus, mozzarella balls are always a hit.
We love recipes that feature cheeses in their whole state and this mozzarella salad is a prime example. Mozzarella cheese is soft, mild, and so delicious tossed with tomatoes, fresh basil onion, and balsamic.
PS: if you love mozzarella and tomato salad — try our classic Caprese salad!
Why you’ll love it!
- Few ingredients
- Great for sharing
- Make it year-round
- cherry tomatoes: bursting with flavor, cherry tomatoes are the perfect bite-sized veggie to pair with mozzarella.
- mozzarella balls: we’re using mozzarella balls. Feel free to use the mini version, or dice up a ball yourself.
- fresh basil: fresh basil is key for this recipe! Make sure to use fresh and not dried.
- red onion: red onion adds a bite and will be missed if you don’t use it.
- homemade dressing: the homemade dressing is the star of the show. You need garlic, lemon, balsamic vinegar, and dijon mustard.
Easy Instructions – Ready in 20 Minutes!
Place sliced tomatoes into a strainer or colander and season them generously with salt. Let them sit so that the liquid can drain off.
Heat olive oil in a small point. Then, add garlic and lemon rind and cook until the garlic begins to brown.
Combine mayo, balsamic, mustard, and water. Then, discard the lemon rind from the olive oil. Combine the mayo mixture with the garlic and olive oil and mix to combine. Add more water as needed to thin out.
Combine the tomatoes, mozzarella balls, fresh basil, and onion. Then, pour on the dressing and toss. Season with freshly cracked black pepper and serve.
Top Tips for Perfect Mozzarella Tomato Salad
Salt the tomatoes: make sure to salt the tomatoes at the beginning so that moisture can be removed. This will prevent a lot of moisture from seeping out later on.
Discard lemon rind: after the lemon rind and garlic are sauteed in olive oil, discard the lemon rind. It’s just used for flavor!
Add water as needed to dressing: if the dressing seems too thick, simply add water to thin it out until it reaches the desired consistency.
Store leftover tomato mozzarella salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Fresh Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
Whip up this fresh tomato basil mozzarella salad for a wonderful salad to bring to your next bbq or munch on during any time of year.
- 12 oz. cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 2-inch strips of fresh lemon rind
- 1.5 tablespoons mayo
- 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon water
- 8 oz. cherry-sized mozzarella balls halved
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves roughly chopped
- ¼ small red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Place the cherry tomato halves in a colander and sprinkle them with ¼ teaspoon of salt and toss. Place the colander over a bowl and let the tomatoes let off liquid. Set aside.
Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. When the olive oil is fragrant, add the garlic and lemon rind to the pan and season with ¼ teaspoon of salt. Sauté the garlic until fragrant. Remove from heat and let the garlic cool for 5 minutes.
Next, add the mayo, balsamic vinegar, mustard, and water to a bowl and whisk to combine.
Discard the lemon rind and add the olive oil and garlic to the mayo mixture. Whisk to combine.
Assemble the salad. Discard the excess tomato liquid. Add the tomatoes, mozzarella balls, basil leaves, and red onion to a salad bowl. Pour the mayo dressing over the ingredients and toss until everything is covered in the dressing.
Top with the remaining salt and pepper, toss, and enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- If the dressing is still too thick after whisking in the olive oil, feel free to add 1 teaspoon of water at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Feel free to use any kind of mozzarella cheese. Make sure to cut it into bite-sized pieces.
Calories: 267kcal Carbohydrates: 6g Protein: 12g Fat: 23g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g