Fact: After an hour (or several) of watching The Great British Baking Show, you feel like you could definitely replicate the sumptuous desserts on the show. Also a fact: It’s usually way harder than it looks.
If—despite your inspiration—your concoctions often turn out a bit Pinterest-fail-esque, allow us to introduce a dessert that looks baking show award-worthy, but is actually very easy to assemble: In our newest episode of Alt-Baking Bootcamp, chef and nutritionist Mia Rigden shows us how to make a mouth-watering brownie trifle that is both beginner-friendly and delicious.
The trifle features seven layers of four key elements: dairy-free whipped cream, raspberry chia jam, avocado chocolate mousse, and—most importantly—gooey brownies made with Simple Mills Almond Flour Brownie Mix. “[The mix] uses almond flour and coconut sugar to make a much more nutritious base for our trifle,” Rigden says.
Plus, since everything is gluten- and dairy-free, it makes this dessert super sharable for palates and diets of all kinds (but don’t worry, it tastes so decadent no one will guess it’s loaded with so many good-for-you ingredients).
Ready to whip up your own flavor-filled confection? Watch the video above to get Rigden’s expert techniques, then follow the steps below to make it yourself. (Speaking in a British accent while you cook is optional.)
Gluten-Free Brownie Trifle
1/2 cup avocado oil, and more for greasing the pan
3 Tbsp water
1 package Simple Mills Brownie Mix
2 ripe avocados
1 1/2 cups almond milk
2 Tbsp chia seeds
1 12-oz. bag dairy free chocolate chips, melted
1 Tbsp maple syrup
Raspberry Chia Jam
2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp white chia seeds
Garnish and Filling
2 containers dairy-free whipped cream
1/4 cup chocolate shavings
3 to 5 raspberries for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400° and grease a 9×9 baking dish with avocado oil.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the avocado oil, water, and eggs. Then add in the Simple Mills Brownie Mix.
3. Transfer the brownie batter into the baking dish and bake for 18-22 minutes. Then, remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting into squares.
For the chocolate mousse
1. Pour almond milk into a high-speed blender.
2. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave. Cut avocados into chunks.
3. Add the avocados, chia seeds, melted chocolate chips, and maple syrup into blender and pulse until smooth.
4. Set aside for assembly.
For the raspberry chia jam
1. Blend raspberries, water, and white chia seeds together until smooth.
2. Set aside for assembly.
Assembling the gluten-free brownie trifle
1. Use half of the brownie squares to layer a row on the bottom of a glass dish.
2. Spread half of the avocado mousse on top of the brownies, followed by one container of the dairy-free whipped cream. Don’t forget to slowly work the mousse and cream layers evenly to the sides of the dish!
3. Add all of the chia jam and spread in an even layer.
4. Stack another layer of the brownies, chocolate mousse, and dairy-free whipped cream.
5. Top it off with chocolate shavings, a few raspberries, and dig in!