You’ll be counting down the minutes until snack time.
Nutritious snacks are a must have in any healthy eater’s arsenal. Our Greek Yogurt Bark is an easy, family-friendly treat that’s perfect as a snack or low-calorie dessert! At less than 100 calories per serving, it still can satisfy sweet cravings in an incredibly healthy way. As a bonus, you can easily swap ingredients to give your tastebuds what they’re looking for!
Sweet and Healthy Treat
There’s a common misconception that snacking leads to weight gain or desserts are evil. While it is true that snacking can lead to weight gain, that’s not always the case. It largely depends on what you’re snacking on. High calorie, processed snacks can cause calories to add up fast. But nutritious snacks, like this Greek Yogurt Bark, can actually stave off cravings and keep hunger at bay, allowing you to get to your next meal without a binge.
If you’re trying to eat healthier, shed some excess pounds, or both, this Greek Yogurt Bark is a must-try. You can eat it as your mid-morning snack, as an afternoon treat, or even serve it as an after dinner dessert! At 79 calories and 5 grams of protein per serving, this is a snack or dessert you can feel good about!
Easy to Make Greek Yogurt Bark
This snack recipe is extraordinarily simple to prepare. You will begin by lining a 9″X13″ rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (this will make removing the bark super easy). Spread the yogurt onto the prepared baking sheet, bringing the yogurt all the way to the edge of the pan.
Next, add the dark chocolate to a microwave safe dish and melt it using 15 second increments. Dark chocolate is an amazing ingredient, not just for its flavor, but it’s healthy for you, too! Among other great things is does for you, there are studies that show dark chocolate can decrease insulin sensitivity, possibly reducing your chances of developing diabetes! Did you ever think that eating chocolate would be so good for you?
So, at you are microwaving your super chocolate, you’ll want to stir the chocolate after each burst until it’s nice and smooth. Remove it from the microwave and drop dollops of or drizzle the chocolate onto the the Greek yogurt. Then, use a butter knife or a toothpick to swirl the chocolate into the Greek yogurt. You can swirl it as much as you’d like, but we like to leave some bigger sections of chocolate here and there! We love the contrast in taste and texture the variety of chocolate/yogurt offer.
Finally, slice your strawberries and sprinkle them, along with the almonds, on top of the yogurt and chocolate mixture. You can press them in slightly to make sure they stay in place. Then, freeze for 2 hours or until firm. Once you remove the Greek yogurt bark from the freezer, you can use a knife to cut it into 12, 3 by 3.25 inch pieces. Or, break the bark apart with your hands for that classic look!
Ingredient Swaps for Different Flavors
One of the fun things about this recipe is that different ingredients can be swapped or added in very easily. You can use any other fruits, nuts, candies, or spreads that you want!
- Fruit: Swap the strawberries with blueberries or raspberries, or try adding some banana slices to the mix. Dried fruits or coconut could also be yummy! Give dried apricots a try. The combo with dark chocolate is heaven!
- Nuts: You can really try any nut that you’d like. If you use berries, pecans would be a good choice. If you go with bananas, peanuts or walnuts would be yummy! Remember, nuts have healthy qualities, too, so feel free to boost your nutrition hit in this way.
- Candies: You don’t necessarily have to melt the chocolate– you can use whole chocolate chips instead! There are also peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, or sprinkles for a fun kid’s dessert! A small amount of crushed peppermint candy or a toffee bar would be a fun addition, too! Just remember that these ingredients are sugar-forward so use them as a “condiment,” not a main ingredient.
- Spreads: Want to forgo the melted chocolate all together? Try melting some nut butter or stirring in your go-to jam spread. You can also drizzle in some honey for some added sweetness.
- Additional Toppings: We think crumbling in some graham crackers is a sweet touch to these Greek yogurt bars. Granola would also mix in really well! For an extra protein and fiber hit, consider flax seeds, pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds.
Whether you follow the instructions exactly, or try out your own ingredient combination, we want to hear about it! There are literally endless combinations. Share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section, below!
- 3 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries sliced
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
Line a rimmed 9X13 baking sheet with parchment paper.
Spread the yogurt out evenly onto the prepared baking sheet.
Place the chocolate in a microwave safe dish. Melt in the microwave using 15 second increments, stirring after each increment.
Drop dollops of chocolate onto the Greek yogurt. Then use a butter knife or a toothpick to swirl the chocolate into the Greek yogurt.
Top with the sliced strawberries and almonds. Then freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
Remove from the freezer and use a knife to cut into 3 by 3.25 inch pieces. Alternatively, break the bark apart with your hands.
SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Did you love this simple snack idea? If so, we think you might also like to try: