Daniel Radcliffe is “Not Interested” in Returning to Harry Potter Right Now

Spread the love


Although the Harry Potter cinematic universe continues to live on, Daniel Radcliffe has no desire to return to the franchise just yet. In a joint interview with his The Lost City co-stars Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum for the New York Times, Radcliffe made it clear that he’s content to keep his distance from the wizarding world for now, telling the Times that starring in a Cursed Child adaptation is “not something I’m really interested in doing right now.”

Radcliffe’s comments come after Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone director Chris Columbus told The Hollywood Reporter that he’d be interested in returning to the Potter world to direct a film adaptation of the Broadway play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. 

“A version of Cursed Child with Dan, Rupert, and Emma at the right age, it’s cinematic bliss,” said Columbus, expressing a desire to reunite the film’s central trio of Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson for the future film adaptation.  “If you’re a film nerd or cinephile, it’s kind of like what J.J. [Abrams] did with Star Wars. Star Wars really started to be great again when J.J. made the film and we had all the original cast back. There’s no question if you’re a Star Wars fan, you were moved just seeing them on screen. Seeing Harrison Ford as Han Solo again, and Chewy. It was very moving.”

Columbus drew a parallel between Ford returning to Star Wars and Radcliffe and company one day returning to Harry Potter. “I think that would be the same situation for Harry Potter fans,” Columbus said. “To able to actually see these adult actors now back in these roles. Oh, yeah. It would be amazingly fun to make that film — or two films.”

While Columbus is gung-ho about the idea, Radcliffe is not itching to get back on the broomstick, despite participating in HBO Max’s Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts retrospective special earlier this year. “This isn’t the answer that anybody’s going to want, but I think I was so able to go back and enjoy it because it’s not a part of my day-to-day life anymore,” Radcliffe said, in reference to the special. “I’m getting to a point where I feel like I made it out of Potter OK and I’m really happy with where I am now, and to go back would be such a massive change to my life.”

Although Radcliffe has no intention of donning the lighting bolt scar any time soon, he hasn’t ruled it out entirely. To explain his reasoning, he, too, cited Star Wars. “I’m never going to say never,” he told the Times. “The Star Wars guys had like 30, 40 years before they went back. For me, it’s only been 10. It’s not something I’m really interested in doing right now.” So, Potter fans, it looks like you’ll have to wait another 20 to 30 years before you see Radcliffe cast another spell. 

More Great Stories From Vanity Fair

— Grimes on Music, Mars, and Her Secret New Baby With Elon Musk
— An Exclusive First Look at the Lush Where the Crawdads Sing Adaptation
— The Vanity Fair Oscar Party Returns: Fill Out Your Ballot and Watch the Livestream on March 27
The Dropout: The Truth About Elizabeth Holmes and Sunny Balwani’s Secret Romance
— Jane Campion: A Candid Interview With a Master
Ally Sheedy Left Hollywood. Then Came Single Drunk Female
— Industry Titans Join Forces to Slam Oscar Category Changes
— From the Archive: The Seduction-to-Split Secrets of Ava Gardner’s Three Marriages
— Sign up for the “HWD Daily” newsletter for must-read industry and awards coverage—plus a special weekly edition of “Awards Insider.”



Source link